Saturday, June 30, 2007

Ratatouille! (finally!)

So after a 100 day countdown starting back during my freshman year at Winthrop, and learning the joys (ha!) of patience, Ratatouille finally came out in theaters! I am so glad that we got to see it in New York City!

Let me just say, the theater was packed! We left the studio at 5:00 just so we could get there early and buy tickets, go have dinner, and be in our seats thirty minutes early.. Luckily we all got to sit together!

I've never really been in a theater so packed and so involved with a movie. People were laughing (loudly!) and clapping and just ... so engaged with the movie! It felt awesome to be with so many people who were excited that Pixar had come out with another movie! And what was even better: I got to see a movie I had been waiting for for MONTHS... in my favorite city, with 13 of my newest favorite friends! Yes, that's right, THIRTEEN of us took time away from the crunch of setting up the gallery to go see Ratatouille! I do wish Erica could have come though. She had to work : /


You know those kinds of books or movies that you think about way after you watched the movie? I think this will be one of those. And though I think some of that has to do with it being a Pixar film and the fact that it is my dream to work there someday, that is not the reason why. Ratatouille spoke so many truths about striving for excellence and also recognizing and creating beauty. I can't even begin to count how may times I made a "mmh" comment (either in my mind or accidentally out loud) agreeing with something said or sighing at something that I thought was artistically ... nothing less than gorgeous.

And the end credits! Wow! That's a joy in itself! They're so incredibly creative and it drives me silly to think about how I want that kind of imagination and craftsmanship to show up in even my regular class assignments. I want to push myself to that standard and dare I say -- even further, but I know it's going to take a lot of time and practicing.

I wish I didn't give up so easily when I was little.


This is the poster I made at about 3 in the morning the night before to let everybody who wanted to, come with us!





I'll put some sketches in here soon. After looking at some blogs of people who are my heroes and don't know it, I've decided to quit taking the wimpy way out and actually push for more illustrations and less photographs.

No comments: