Sunday, March 1, 2009

finding a tutor was a very good idea!

This quarter at SCAD, along with trying to do at least one Maya tutorial a day, I finally took advantage of SCAD's free tutoring... capabilities? Don't get me wrong- I love class time and learning from professors who have worked in the industry, but I learn SO much when it's just one-on-one. The tutors that have been helping me know what they're talking about and if I get lost, I can ask a question right there (without having to decide if I want to interrupt in front of a class of 20 people) Plus, if I want to know why something works the way it does, or what 'specular' means what 'uv mapping' is for or why 'quads' are good and 'n-gons' are bad- they almost always can explain or show me on the spot the answer to my question.

The two guys who have been helping me learn this stuff are Matt and Dorien. They are nerds in the most complementary sense of the word. Meaning, I would bet all of my scholarships that they are going to get jobs when they graduate.

Did I tell yall I changed my room project? Yeah, I kept thinking about how much I loved Great Expectations and I remembered a picture of a rotting cake that I drew in... what, 8th grade? (Mom if you are reading this- have you seen that drawing anywhere? Where has it gone?!)
During the time that I was making all of the Hansel and Gretel concept development stuff, I caught my mind wandering more and more towards victorian furniture and spider webby creepily lit rooms. About a weeek (or two) ago, I just decided to go for it. I was obviously more excited about Miss Havisham's room and I was more confident that I could resolve it in time for finals.


Here are some curtain tests for the room :



Steady wind blowing a curtain



Now, there's an object in the way colliding with the curtain. Getting here was not easy, internet viewers.



Some tweaking and voila-Wind speed variations!



Here, I was just being obnoxious.


I am very excited to continue working on the room- I don't think it's as insurmountable as I thought it was prior to today.

2 comments:

Rose said...

That is sooo cool!!!!! +10

Andy Mai said...

dynamic simulation... nice... sorry I can't be around to help you more. But I'm glad you found help :D