Monday, February 16, 2009

Coraline Field Trip!

I had a chance to see Coraline with some of my friends, and all in all, I thought it was beautifully made. I would love to work on a project like Coraline someday. I'm still forming opinions about the storyline- I really enjoyed the fact that they didn't just hand information to the audience on a silver platter, (minus the video game-esque sequence at the end with the search for eyeballs.) I would see it again if I had the chance. The 3d was beautiful. I really hope that becomes a standard with animations... Over time I think they will be able to pull back a little and save drastic uses of 3d because there were several times that my eyes started hurting- maybe a touch less would be a perfect balance.

As for the story, woah creepy! Be careful what you wish for is their tagline- I think there's also a theme that things just aren't perfect here, and when they seem like they are- they could quite possibly are lies. We live in a fallen world. It's just a fact.

Perfect IS coming though. Probably not through a hole in the wall and sans buttons for eyes.... but when Perfect does come back, it will be Good and Pure and Holy and everything we've been waiting for.


This is a video about rigger Oliver Jones and animating Coraline.



Some Coraline Art by Chris Appelhans:





And this link is Animation World Network talking about the 3d in Coraline, other animations, and what it means for films made in the future.

No comments: